Raju Korti
I and Nitin Gadkari were born in
the same year, 1957, in the same city, Nagpur, now famously acknowledged, other than for oranges, as the bastion of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. Our chosen professions were
different, but our paths crossed quite early. I came to know him on first-name
terms after he began emerging as a student leader of the Akhil Bharatiya
Vidyarthi Parishad, the student wing associated with the Bharatiya Janata
Party.
Those were simpler days. I would
drop my wife at a nearby bus stop at Shankar Nagar Square, where we would
occasionally catch up perchance. There was nothing remotely grand about those
encounters. We would share a cutting chai at a ramshackle tea stall, a tapri,
exchanging small talk and pleasantries. There was no entourage, no security
cordon and certainly no political theatre. He was simply Nitin, an energetic
young man making his way in politics.
![]() |
| Extreme left me with Gadkari, book in hand |
He made that mark decisively.
True to his grit and political acumen, Gadkari rose from student politics to
become an MLA, then an MP and eventually a Union minister. I have watched that
journey from close quarters, from the days of the humble student leader to his
current stature as the Union Minister for Transport and Highways. Somewhere
along that journey of four and a half decades, however, I began to discern a
perceptible change in his demeanour and approach.
Gadkari was never, in my
assessment, a politician who stood out as an overwhelmingly popular electoral
phenomenon. His rise was driven by something else: a reputation for
organisational ability, administrative competence, political networking and an
image of being committed to exemplary leadership. That combination took him a
long way. So did his robust backing from the RSS, which remains an important
factor in understanding his political standing even today.
![]() |
| Me speaking at the book release |
Yet the man I knew seemed to be
changing. The once sincere-sounding and sincere-looking Gadkari increasingly
appeared, to me, to be full of himself, high-handed and, at times, even
arrogant. The transformation was gradual enough to be missed by those who knew
him only from public appearances, but visible enough to someone who had
encountered him before the trappings of power became so overwhelming.
I saw another glimpse of that
transformation last year when Gadkari arrived habitually late, as chief guest at the release of Companion,
or Sobati in Marathi, written by my journalist friend Chandrashekhar
Velankar and subsequently translated into English by me. We were on the same
dais. I am not sure whether, given his current stature, he failed to recognise
me or chose not to. I am inclined to believe the latter, because politicians
generally know their connections very well and conveniently remember or ignore
them according to circumstance, convenience and occasion.
I did not, for my part, make any
attempt to display the familiarity of our earlier days. As an
accredited journalist, I would occasionally bumped into him at Mantralaya, where
we would share tea with other media friends. But at the book release I remained
where I was, without attempting to revive an old association merely because the
man on the dais had risen spectacularly in stature. Perhaps that was just as
well. The lines between us had long been clearly drawn. He was the politician.
I was the journalist.
The more troubling
transformation, however, was not whether Gadkari recognised me. It was the
manner in which political success appeared to have altered his relationship
with power, wealth and influence. Alongside his political career, Gadkari also
grew as an entrepreneur, most notably through Poorti, the departmental-store
venture that later found itself caught in a public storm over alleged financial
irregularities. His fluency with seven and eight-digit figures became almost
legendary, earning even rival politicians a measure of secret admiration. There
was something undeniably impressive about his command of numbers, business and
administration.
But somewhere along that
progression, I believe he crossed the fine line between confidence and
overconfidence. He became brusque. At times he seemed like someone who could
not care less. The body language became more assertive, the speech more
emphatic, the demeanour less accessible. Confidence, which had once been one of
his strengths, increasingly seemed to harden into self-assurance of a different
kind.
I have often suspected that both
Narendra Modi and Amit Shah were uncomfortable with the manner in which the
ambitious Gadkari conducted himself after the BJP came to power with a massive
mandate in 2014. Publicly, Gadkari always acknowledged that he functioned under
the leadership of Modi. Yet he often came across as a self-styled minister who
operated substantially on his own writ. I suspect Modi and Shah did not want to
ruffle those feathers unnecessarily, partly because of the RSS rider that hung
between them. Gadkari marched on regardless, fortified by his firm backing in
Nagpur. The discomfort, at least to my reading of the political atmosphere, was
palpable.
And then came the latest episode.
Gadkari's recent remarks suggesting that he cannot do much work anymore and
should make way for someone from the new generation have inevitably set tongues
wagging. As happens with almost every politician whose words acquire an
inconvenient interpretation, clarifications followed. He made it clear that he
had no plans to quit active politics. Technically, that may settle the matter.
Politically, it does not.
There is already a perception
that Gadkari may have an inkling that an impending Cabinet reshuffle could
leave him without a berth and that he may therefore be contemplating a
face-saving, dignified exit before the decision is made for him. I do not claim
that this is necessarily what is happening. But the perception exists, and
politicians of Gadkari's experience know better than most that perceptions
themselves can become political facts. For someone who became BJP president,
emerged as a virtually confirmed name for the Union Cabinet and occupied one of
its most important portfolios, the possibility is both sad and surprising.
As someone who knew him on
first-name terms, once I found the episode personally disappointing. As an
independent-minded media person, I found it perplexing and, frankly, annoying.
This was not the Gadkari I thought he would become. Not that I claim any proprietary
interest in his political career. I do not. Our lines were clearly drawn long
ago. He was the politician. I was the journalist.
But I remain astonished at the
extent to which he has courted unpopularity, including among people in his own
party and some of his personal well-wishers. The most striking example is his
insistence on ethanol-blended fuel. After creating immense difficulties and
confusion for vehicle owners across the country, the manner in which the
ethanol issue has been pursued has, in my view, damaged much of the goodwill
Gadkari painstakingly accumulated over three decades of political life.
The criticism is not merely about
ethanol as an idea. Ethanol blending has legitimate arguments in its favour,
including energy security, reduced dependence on imported crude and support for
domestic agriculture. The problem is the manner, pace and perceived conflict of
interest surrounding its advocacy. What was the need to force such a transition
so abruptly, particularly when domestic manufacturing of ethanol-compatible
vehicles was not even slated to begin until 2023? A little patience could have
prevented much of the chaos.
The allegation made by his
critics is that the decision was pushed through with extraordinary haste, with
a unilateral decision being taken late in the evening in the expectation of
nationwide applause. When the backlash followed, responsibility appeared to
move elsewhere, with Hardeep Singh Puri becoming a convenient name in the
subsequent political explanation. Whether that characterisation is entirely
fair is open to debate, but it illustrates the degree to which Gadkari's image
has become vulnerable to suspicion.
That is precisely why the
present perception troubles me more than it might trouble someone who had never
known the earlier Gadkari. His critics have gone further, drawing an
unflattering parallel with Dhritarashtra, whose blind devotion to his son
clouded his judgement and brought the situation to what it is today. I would
hesitate to make such a sweeping moral equivalence. But there is an
uncomfortable political question that Gadkari cannot simply dismiss: when a
powerful minister vigorously promotes an industry in which his own sons have
business interests, can he reasonably expect the public to remain indifferent
to the appearance of a conflict?
His two sons' involvement in the
ethanol business has been openly criticised, and many have expressed anguish
over what they perceive as a troubling intersection between public policy and
private family interests. Whether every allegation made against the family
stands scrutiny is another matter. But perception, again, matters enormously in
public life.
I do not pretend to live in a
political world innocent of vested interests. Show me one politician who has
never had a vested interest, who has remained entirely unselfish, pliant when
the need arises, or untouched by the moral compromises that accompany the
exercise of power. Politics, by its very nature, is rarely an antiseptic
profession. My anguish, therefore, is not about Gadkari being a politician who
has acquired wealth, influence or ambition. It is about the distance he seems
to have travelled from the down-to-earth man I once knew.
There was a time when a cutting
chai at a roadside tapri was enough. A young Gadkari could sit down, laugh,
exchange pleasantries and talk without the burden of office weighing upon the
conversation. He appeared sincere and accessible. He listened. He could
disagree without necessarily becoming disagreeable. At the book release last
year, I saw something quite different. His speech, his body language and his
overall bearing seemed to me to reflect a metamorphosed Gadkari. It was not the
man with whom I had once shared laughter and pleasantries over a roadside cup
of tea.
Perhaps power does that to
people. Perhaps prolonged proximity to authority creates a protective wall
around those who wield it. Perhaps success slowly convinces a politician that
disagreement is opposition and criticism is envy. Or perhaps I am simply reading
too much into a few encounters separated by decades. But the change is
difficult for me to ignore.
Gadkari has undoubtedly achieved
much. His tenure in the highways and transport ministry has given him an
opportunity to leave a substantial infrastructural imprint, and his political
journey from Nagpur's student politics to the national stage is, by any
measure, remarkable. He has demonstrated administrative energy, political
resilience and an entrepreneurial instinct rare in Indian politics. That is
precisely why his present predicament is so intriguing.
A politician does not become
diminished merely because he leaves office. Nor does retirement necessarily
amount to defeat. If Gadkari genuinely believes that the next generation should
take over, there would be dignity in saying so plainly and leaving on his own
terms. But if retirement is merely a pre-emptive manoeuvre to avoid being
dropped in a Cabinet reshuffle, then the grandeur of the gesture begins to look
rather different. There is a subtle distinction between choosing one's exit and
dressing up an enforced exit as a sacrifice.
I do not know which of the two
applies to Gadkari. He alone does. What I do know is the Gadkari I once knew. I
remember a young student leader from Nagpur, ambitious but approachable, active
and dashing, sitting across a ramshackle tapri and sharing a cutting chai with
me. I remember the invitation to his sons' thread ceremony. I remember the
occasional tea at Mantralaya with fellow journalists. I remember a man who
seemed secure enough in himself to listen.
I also remember the Gadkari I saw
last year. Between those two men lie roughly four and a half decades of
politics, power, business, success, controversy and changing equations.
Somewhere in that long journey, the man who once seemed confident without being
overbearing appears, at least to me, to have become increasingly overconfident,
high-handed and brusque. That is not an indictment of his entire political
career. It is a personal observation born of having seen him before and after
power acquired its full weight.
And perhaps that is the hardest
truth about politics. The public rarely knows the person behind the politician.
Those of us who encountered them before the barricades, security details,
official cars and towering offices sometimes get a glimpse of the distance
travelled. In Gadkari's case, I have travelled that distance with him, albeit
from the other side of the political fence.
I began by sharing a cutting chai with Nitin Gadkari. Today, I watch Union Minister Nitin Gadkari from a distance and wonder what happened to the man who sat beside me at that tapri. The politician may have become bigger. The question is whether, somewhere along the way, the man became smaller.


No comments:
Post a Comment